Friday, March 23, 2018

Ombre Birthday Cake

I'm a tiny bit behind in uploading these posts. My birthday was on March 16th, yay go Pisces. For the month of March the theme of the bakes were Jasmine's choice. I knew I wanted to make my own birthday cake and I wanted to do a few different techniques. I went with an ombre cake, in my favorite color blue.... water sign. I also wanted to use my favorite flavors, so I added a lemon and coconut curd. I left the buttercream just vanilla, and the cake flavor vanilla also. I added silver and gold leaf because I'm extra and I think the cake came out beautifully and delicious.

Finished ombre cake slice

Finished cake, it looks so spring like




look at that ombre cake batter


I love the colors

after blending the frosting colors, sort of like watercoloring

perfect meringue with silver foil and teal stripe

Look at these cute little meringue kisses

Close up of the side of the cake. You can see the details of the edible foils.

This post is a little different because I really didn't take as detailed pictures but I will post the recipe.

Vanilla Cake

  • 9 egg whites
  • 4 1/2 cups cake flour
  • 1 1/2 cups butter (room temperature)
  • 2 3/4 cups sugar
  • 2 tablespoons baking powder
  • 2 1/4 cups buttermilk
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla
  • different shades of blue gel food coloring
Preheat your oven to 350F and spray 3 8inch round baking pans and set aside.

Sift flour, baking powder, and salt and then set aside.

Stir vanilla and buttermilk together and set aside.

In a stand mixer beat butter and sugar on medium high speed using a paddle attachment ( 5 minutes)

Mix on low add egg whites one at a time.

Add in 1/3 of dry ingredients then 1/2 milk mixture, followed by 1/3 dry mixture and last 1/2 of milk mixture and the last of the dry ingredients.

Divide the cake batter into three bowls and add in gel coloring. Pour in prepared pans and bake at 350F for 30-33 minutes. 

Cool 10-20 minutes before inverting pans

Leave on cooling rack to cool completely

Here's a recipe for the Swiss Meringue Butter Cream and Lemon Curd

For the coconut curd I used the same lemon curd recipe just replaced the lemon curd with 3/4 cups of coconut milk.

I finished the cake with macarons and little meringue kisses and gold and silver. 

I will be making better posts, it's just that I've been so busy with a lot of things and my veggie garden.




No comments:

Post a Comment