Saturday, February 17, 2018

Peanut Butter & Jelly Cupcakes

Time for the third bake for the month of February. The perfect pair this week was Peanut Butter & Jelly. I was thinking about baking a PB&J cheesecake but at the last minute I scrapped that idea. I decided to bake cupcakes because I normally don't bake them. This was also the perfect opportunity for me to try making some swiss meringue buttercream. I'm really glad that I did. My mom requested some chocolate coconut cupcakes so I made some of those too. I made a peanut butter swiss meringue buttercream and it is amazing. So light and peanut buttery. I think this may be my new favorite way to make buttercream because the american style is so much more heavier. I filled the peanut butter cupcakes with some classic grape jelly. I also drizzled more jelly on top and I made some roasted peanut dust and topped each cupcake with that. They came out so well.

Peanut Butter & Jelly cupcake
Peanut Butter & Jelly Cupcake


Here's what you will need

Chocolate Cupcake

  • 1 1/3 cup flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup softened butter ( 1 stick)
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup hot water


Swiss Meringue Buttercream

  • 3 egg whites
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 cup softened butter ( 3 sticks)  each stick cut into 8 pieces


for coconut swiss meringue buttercream

  • 2 tablespoons of coconut extract


for peanut butter swiss meringue buttercream

  • 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter



First sift your flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda together and then set aside.



In a bowl cream together softened butter and sugar until nice and fluffy



add in your eggs one at a time



Add in half of your flour mixture



pour in your milk and blend

add in the second half of your flour mixture


take your hot water and pour that into your cupcake batter and mix till combined

This is hot water, I just added it to the same measuring cup that had the milk in it


Preheat oven to 350F

Scope your batter into cupcake liners being careful not to over fill (cupcakes will rise) 3/4 full is always a good fill level.

Bake in 350F oven for 15-20 minutes ( I baked mine at 17 minutes) everyone's oven is different so use a toothpick to check doneness.

After removing from oven let them sit in the pan for about 10 minutes then move them to a rack to cool.

These smelled so good after coming out of the oven

I took a measuring spoon and carefully removed some of the inside of the cupcake to stuff them.

best part about removing the center is that you get to eat cupcake scraps

I just filled these with some grape jelly I had in the fridge (you can use whatever you have)

Yummy jelly

For the coconut filled I just mixed about a 1/2 cup shredded coconut with 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk

yummy coconut filling

These are ok to leave out while you work on your frostings.

In your stand mixer bowl (or you could use a glass or metal bowl) place your egg whites and sugar and give it a quick whisk


 You are going to place this bowl over a pot of simmering water and cook until all the sugar is dissolved or a thermometer reads 160F (make sure the water in the small pot does not touch the bottom of the bowl


Once all the sugar is dissolved and you reach 160F remove the bowl and attach it to your stand mixer and begin whisking the egg whites on high until stiff peaks form and your bowl feels cool to the touch.

look at that glossy meringue

with your mixer still on high add one piece of butter in at a time.

thats a whole lot of butter

Keep whisking on high, if your buttercream looks like it will curdle keep mixing it will become silky and smooth.
swiss meringue buttercream
nice and silky

I then separated some out to flavor the peanut butter  swiss meringue butter cream. I just added peanut butter and tasted it.

add in some peanut butter and adjust to your taste

For the coconut cupcakes I added the coconut extract and whipped it in the mixer and placed in a pipping bag. I like a lot of frosting.


I really love a lot of frosting

I topped the peanut butter and jelly cupcakes with the peanut butter swiss meringue buttercream. I microwaved a tiny bit of jelly for about 15 seconds and drizzled that over the cupcakes. I then placed some honey roasted peanuts in my coffee/spice grinder and blitzed them till I had a crumb consistency and I sprinkled that on top.

PB&J cupcakes
I did make a mess with the jelly, but look at these cupcakes

For the coconut I just threw a ton of shredded coconut on top and placed two almond slivers on top.

coconut cupcakes
After adding the coconut 

So yummy

The PB & Jelly are my favorite

Ya'll better bake these

The cupcakes were deliciously moist and not overly sweet. Also the buttercream freezes well ( I had enough to frost another dozen cupcakes). Definitely try baking these. Hmmm I'm still trying to decide on the last bake. I'm leaning towards something with red velvet.

No comments:

Post a Comment