Monday, November 6, 2017

Sweet Potato Pie For The Win!

So this is going to be the first pie post for the month of November. I decided on baking a Sweet Potato Pie because they are one of my favorite pies, and I received some free sweet potatoes. My grandma always made them and they are definitely a staple on our family's Thanksgiving table. I, unfortunately did not use my Grandma's recipe, but the pie still turned out delicious. I ended up making a pretty basic butter crust.

Sweet Potato Tart


For the crust you will need

  • 1 cup of flour
  • 1 stick of butter (1/2 cup) cut into small pieces
  • 1/4 teaspoon of salt
  • 3 tablespoons of ice cold water



for the sweet potato filling

  • 2 cups cooked mashed sweet potato
  • 3/4 of a cup of light brown sugar
  • 1/4 of a cup light corn syrup
  • 1 stick of softened butter
  • 2 eggs (beaten)
  • 2 teaspoons of vanilla
  • 5 oz of evaporated milk




In a large bowl add your flour and salt and whisk to combine.


Add in your butter



I used two forks because I don't have a pastry cutter, just keep mashing it up until the butter pieces are small.


you don't want to add too much cold water, you really just add the water to form the dough.

I don't know why I took a picture of the ice water

so add just enough water to form a dough ball

the dough will be sticky

Next I just wrapped the dough in plastic wrap and stuck it in the fridge, while I whipped up the filling.


Here's some mashed sweet potatoes, just peel and boil some sweet potatoes for about 40 minutes and then mash them. Just set them aside

this was about 4 small sweet potatoes

I rolled out the chilled dough and filled a 9 inch tart pan ( I then placed the whole tart in the freezer)

this was the dough in a 9inch tart pan, if you use a deep pie dish you might want to double the crust recipe

Take your softened butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup and beat with mixers.



Take your beaten eggs and add this to your beaten sugar mixture.





Add in your sweet potatoes

It looks grainy and weird but it will be smooth when you blend it

Add in your vanilla and evaporated milk


I used a stick blender to make this super smooth. You could also use  a blender to do this.

see it got smooth

Preheat your oven to 375F

Place your sweet potato batter into your pie shell and place in the oven for 40 minutes or until you can stick a toothpick in the center.

In the oven about to bake

After the pie baked I sprinkled nutmeg over the top as it cooled

Sweet potato pie
I like to add nutmeg to the pie after it cools


I thought the pie was too plain so I smeared meringue on one side and toasted it. I then added almonds and chocolate sprinkles.



Fall Bakes


The pie really is one of my favorites and it's a must for my family's thanksgiving.




No comments:

Post a Comment