Sunday, November 12, 2017

Mini Pecan Pie + Mini Lemon Meringue Pie For The Win!

So it's time for another pie recipe, this is the second pie recipe for the month of November. I actually couldn't decide between two of my favorite pies so I made both. Since it is so close to one of my favorite holidays, I decided to make mini versions of my favorite Thanksgiving pies, the good old Pecan pie and Lemon meringue pie. My grandma always made a ton of pies for Thanksgiving, she liked to give people many options. It was like a pie buffet. I would always get a slice of her pecan pie, I think that was always the first pie to go. Everyone loved her pecan pie. I also loved eating her lemon meringue pie, it was so tart and sweet. I love all things citrus and there is just something about eating a lemon pie at the end of November that just feels weird but in a good way. I ended up using a muffin pan to bake these and I ended up making a dozen tiny pies of each flavor.

Mini Lemon Meringue Pies
Mini Pecan Pies + Mini Lemon Meringue Pies


Here's what you will need for the mini pecan pie

  • Pie crust (you can use store bought) or make your own pie crust recipe
  • 1 egg (lightly beaten)
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans
  • 24 whole pecans
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup light corn syrup
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon butter (melted)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla



Take your dough and roll it out, use a 3inch round cutter and cut out 12 circles. Keep rolling out your dough to get all of the circles.

Dough Ball



Place dough in a sprayed muffin tray, make sure the sides are built up a bit


Place your filled muffin tin in the fridge while you make the pecan filling



Preheat oven to 350F

In a bowl add in your butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, vanilla, and beaten egg. Whisk the mixture together.



add in your chopped pecans



Add one tablespoon of mixture into each pie shell



add on two of the whole pecans to the top of each mini pie

they already look so cute


 Bake in the 350F oven for 25 minutes, then let sit in the pan for an additional 10 minutes before removing from pan
use a butter knife to go around the edges of the pie

I removed them from the pan and I drizzled melted white chocolate on them

mini pecan pie
close up of the mini pecan pie


for the Lemon Meringue Pies

Take your circle of dough and place it in your muffin pan. with a fork prick the bottom of each pie three times. Bake the shells first 350F for 20 minutes, then let shells cool on cooling rack for 10 minutes.


Fill each pie shell with lemon curd  (Lemon Curd Recipe)

at this point you can add berries, whipped cream, or just powdered sugar if you want.

You can then sprinkle each pie with powdered sugar or make a meringue

To make meringue take 2 room temperature egg whites and 1/4 cup sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.  Place your meringue in a piping bag ( I used a leaf tip) and pipe on each lemon pie.

mini lemon meringue pie
before the torching

Using a kitchen torch toast each meringue

aren't these so pretty

lemon meringue pie
Close up of the Lemon Meringue goodness

All ready for the party
I love making mini versions of pies because you don't have to worry about slicing them and they look great on a platter.  You guys should make these for your Thanksgiving or Friendsgiving parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment