Sunday, June 11, 2017

Churros For The Win!

I've been saying for a while that I wanted to make my own churros, and I did. Growing up in Texas you basically eat churros all the time. Who doesn't like cinnamon sugar yumminess. Also I knew that churros used a pate a choux dough so I took on the challenge to make these. And when you master this dough you can also use it to make eclairs or cream puffs. I was a little hesitant because I hate frying things, I just don't like dealing with hot oil but these were really easy to fry. You can fry these churros without a thermometer and just keep an eye on things, as churros have a tendency to either overcook on the outside or undercook on the inside, you’ll find it easier with one. I think they came out great, and it was a way for me to use the dulce de leche that I made a while ago.

Churros
First time making Churros

So lets get started on what you need

Churro Dough

  • 2 cups water
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold is fine
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon fine sea or table salt
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 to 2 quarts oil for frying

Churro Coating

  • 2/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon 


First start to make the dough:

Heat water, butter, sugar, vanilla and salt in a medium-size saucepan until simmering and butter has melted.





After simmering and butter melted


Remove from heat and dump in flour all at once.



 Mix vigorously with a spoon until the mixture forms a smooth ball and no floury bits are visible.

work fast

you will get a real arm workout

nice ball of dough


Let cool 5 to 10 minutes, I placed the dough in my stand mixer to cool
Then add eggs, one at a time. You can beat them in with a large whisk and strong arm, or use a hand- or stand mixer. Be warned that the dough really likes to ride up the beaters of a hand mixer, so keep it pushed down.
let it cool four about 8 minutes

Add one egg at a time



after adding the two eggs

Transfer churros to a pastry bag or strong gallon Ziploc bag with a corner snipped off, fitted with a large closed star tip 
Add oil to Dutch oven or cast iron skillet until it measures about 1 1/2 inches deep and heat over medium/medium-high heat to 375 degrees.
Now head right to the frying stage and pipe the churros in 6-inch or desired lengths right into the oil, snipping them off with scissors at your desired length. 


Using kitchen scissors is makes this easier

Line a large plate with a couple layers of paper towels. 
Once churros are cooked, remove from oil and drain on towels 
Drain that oil

Once all churros are fried, combine cinnamon and sugar in a shallow dish or bowl. Roll warm churros, one by one, in sugar to coat, spooning more cinnamon-sugar on as you do for best coverage. Tap off excess. Do not let warm churros sit in cinnamon sugar for longer than needed to coat or the sugar will get clumpy.
This part is so fun, toss it in the sugar+cinnamon

Continue until all of your dough is used.
Finished Churros 

churro
Horseshoe shaped churro

churro
churros with dulce de leche

Churro
Stacks of Churro

You can make a chocolate dip, eat these plain or you can dip these in a dulce de leche sauce.  Here's how I made my Dulce De Leche
I had to dip these in the dulce de leche

So good....

No comments:

Post a Comment