Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Lemon Thyme Shortbread Cookies For The Win!

So I knew I needed to use this fresh thyme that I bought for Easter before it goes bad. I also had lemons that I need to use, so I will be having another recipe soon. Back to this recipe, I've made shortbread cookies before a couple of times and I like that eggs are not included. The recipe also uses basic ingredients that most people have in their home already. If you have sugar, butter, and flour, you have everything. I added in fresh thyme, lemon zest, and a little lemon extract to make these cookies. As for the shape, I was debating on a traditional rectangle, or circle for cutting the cookies. I ended up using a medium heart and a tiny heart to create bite size cookies. They look so adorable.

shortbread cookies
Cute Lemon-Thyme Shortbread 
Here's what you are going to need

Lemon-Thyme Shortbread Cookies

  • 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme
  • zest from one lemon
  • 2/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup of cubed salted butter (2 sticks)
  • 2 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon of lemon extract
* if you don't have salted butter, just add 1/2 teaspoon salt into your flour.



In the bowl of an electric stand mixer cream together butter and sugar until well combined.




 Mix in lemon extract, lemon zest, and thyme and blend to combine. 



With mixer set on low speed slowly add in flour and mix until combined (it will take a while and will appear dry and sandy at first but it will start to come together).




Press dough into an even layer in prepared pan with parchment paper (I did it with my hands first then used the bottom of a flat measuring cup to help smooth it out). Chill dough in refrigerator 20 - 30 minutes. 

see that thyme peaking through



Meanwhile preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Lift dough from pan using parchment overhang on all sides. This is also where I used my cookie cutter and cut little shapes from the dough. 

waiting to be baked


 Transfer about 1/3 of the cookies to an unbuttered baking sheet (also do not line pan with parchment or silicone liners) and scatter cookies out spacing cookies 1/2-inch apart. Bake in preheated oven 8 - 12 minutes (keep remaining that aren't currently baking refrigerated). 

Repeat process with remaining bites, adding them to a cool baking sheet. Cool completely then transfer to an airtight container and store at room temperature.

buttery lemony thyme shortbread cookies

lemon thyme shortbread
Cute little heart cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment